Tuesday 18 December 2007

A few final snap-shots from Bali...

In no particular order…

• Frazzled journalists: Becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of an outcome. In a press conference on Friday, one US journalist asked when it was all going to end because he wanted to make dinner plans.

• Conference lumbago: Carrying a shoulder bag around stuffed full with documents, camcorder, digital camera etc. for 2 weeks does your back no good at all.

• Hard working people: Nita, one of the barmaids at my ’local’ near my hotel, works all day running her own business (a laundry) and then all evening (until 11.30) working in the bar. And there was me thinking I worked long hours and had a right to feel tired.

• Confusion on the final day: Has anything been agreed? What has been agreed? Who is still opposing? Who is still meeting? What the hell is going on?

• Tired delegates: Asleep on sofas in the hotel next to the Convention Centre on the Friday night.

• Pacific Islanders: The loveliest people you could hope to meet, alongside all the people I met from Bali itself.

• Conference lag: Too little sleep, too much coffee, no time for lunch.

• Sympathy: Hilary Benn wearing a full suit giving a TV interview in the baking Bali sunshine – not easy under normal circumstances but in this heat more like torture.

• A blast in my ear: ‘Motivational’ music (usually Everyday Combat by Lostprophets) during the half-hour taxi ride to the Convention Centre each morning – partly to get me going for the day and partly to block out the fear of the taxi running over one of the many scooter riders weaving in and out of the traffic.

• The rumour mill: Everyone knows something but nobody knows everything. Be careful what you say because it only takes a second or third hand conversation to turn wild speculation into ‘hard fact’ – a kind of intergovernmental conference alchemy.

• Conference paranoia: Everyone else is busier than me. Everyone else knows what’s going on. There’s something more important I should be doing. There’s somewhere else I should be. Somebody please stop these voices in my head…

• Wanting to go home and be with my family: Oh good, I can do that now…

No comments: